Virginia's pro-business climate, global access and talented workforce combine to make the ideal location for corporate headquarters. From an affordable lifestyle and competitive business environment to a skilled and ready labor force, Virginia is one of the most desirable places for business in America. Corporate headquarters in Virginia enjoy a business-friendly climate characterized by stable and competitive taxes, payroll costs and lease rates, as well as legislation that protects "at will" employment practices.
Virginia's Corporate HQ Industry
- Virginia is home to 65 corporate headquarters of firms that have an annual revenue of more than $500 million
- Twenty-three companies headquartered in Virginia have annual sales of at least $5 billion
- Virginia is also home to the corporate headquarters of 37 Fortune 1000 companies, and many of the largest private companies in the United States
- An existing business concentration with a large, growing labor pool of skilled professional workers
- A central East Coast location with easy access to major national and international markets
- A low cost of doing business
- All the amenities necessary to recruit and keep a professional workforce, including colleges and universities offering specialized business and technical degrees
- Virginia has the second highest concentration of tech workers in the nation; nearly one of every 10 private sector workers in Virginia works for a technology company
- To view the complete Corporate HQ Industry Profile, click here
Major Corporate Headquarters in Virginia
- Advance Auto Parts
- Altria Group
- Capital One Financial
- Computer Science Corporation
- Dollar Tree
- Dominion Resources
- Freddie Mac
- General Dynamics Corporation
- Hilton Worldwide Holdings
- Norfolk Southern
- Northrop Grumman
- Owens & Minor
- Performance Food Group
- Virginia’s success as a top business location can be traced to high-quality and well-educated citizens. With one in three residents awarded a bachelor’s or advanced degree, the Commonwealth’s workforce is one of the most educated in the nation. Some of the nation’s best colleges and universities are located in Virginia, many offering undergraduate and graduate programs in all areas of business.
- From an affordable lifestyle and competitive business environment, to a skilled and ready labor force, Virginia is one of the most desirable places for business in America. Corporate headquarters in Virginia enjoy a business-friendly climate characterized by stable and competitive taxes, payroll costs, and lease rates, as well as legislation that protects “at will” employment practices.
- Low business taxes-Virginia offers stable, low tax costs for corporations and individuals, including the benefits of no franchise tax, a modest 5.3 to 6 percent sales tax with a broad range of exemptions, no inventory tax and financial incentives that encourage capital investment and job creation.
- Virginia's moderate corporate income tax of 6 percent has not changed since 1972.
- Virginia's infrastructure and central East Coast location offer great advantages to headquarters operations, both nationally and internationally. The state's major urban corridor is adjacent to Washington, D.C. providing an ideal location in close proximity to major business, financial and governmental hubs.
- Centrally located on the East Coast, Virginia offers access to 47% of the U.S. population in a day’s drive (11 hours).